Sunday, July 12, 2020

Solace

by Mary Reiman

This blog post has simply not come together as I had envisioned. I can usually find something to write about, just like I can usually find something to talk about. I wanted to write something light. Something that might make you laugh, or at least smile in the midst of this continuing great upheaval. But all the topics I’ve thought about seem trite. So, as I’ve often done in summers past, I turned to reading instead. I’ve read more books in the past three weeks than I’d read since March. For a few months I simply couldn’t stay engaged in any story, plot or character. I’m not sure what changed except that I met a new word. Well, not new, but definitely not one I used in my everyday conversations, or one I thought about very often. Until now.


Solace. Two syllables. 


As a noun: comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness. 


As a verb: to comfort. 


It’s not a word that rolls off my tongue easily. Solace. Comfort in a time of stress. What has been my comfort in this time of stress? Masks have been made, gowns have been sewn, the garage has been painted, and more plants than usual  have been planted. And no, I still can’t go and sit beside my mom yet (although I did get to wave at her through the window for her 97th birthday).


Perhaps it is time to think about how to embrace the word. Solace. To think of it every morning, (how

can I provide comfort to someone else today) and every night (what gave me great comfort today). Perhaps it will help me sleep. 


Luckily I find great solace from others. I find solace in believing goodness will continue to prevail over evil. Yes, there is meanness and ugliness in the world, but there is also great kindness and goodness and caring. Not with the Pollyanna belief it will just happen, but because of the strong voices and diligent action of all of us. Yes, all of us. Even in the midst of the pandemic. As we listen, learn and act. 


So for now, I’m listening to that inner spirit reminding me that each of us needs solace, internally and externally. Each of you gives comfort to others in so many ways, sometimes in words and sometimes in actions without any words, when no words are needed. Some of you are so intuitive, you can just sense when someone needs the comfort you can provide through your words and/or actions. The strength we share, the comfort we provide will come back to us ten fold, hundred fold. And also, in this time of unrest, now more than ever we need to be gentle with ourselves. 


Solace as a noun, solace as a verb.


May you find solace every day.


4 comments:

  1. Very wise words - with solace comes decreased anxiety, increased endorphins and a stronger immune system. So helping others is very truly good for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Solace" - even the sound of this word is soft and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I teach and lead an online course (international) for people who have a severe chronic illness. We have been talking about grief, kindness, comfort, support, and the strength we offer each other. If you are willing, I would very much like to share this with the groups I lead. (If you aren't comfortable with that, I understand. No problem.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course...please share it. Anything we can do to give strength to each other is important.

      Delete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.