Saturday, January 29, 2022

What's In Your Toolbox?

by Mary Reiman

What’s in your toolbox? I continue to see that phrase quite often as writers discuss what is needed to accomplish goals.

Quite a few years ago (time flies) school librarians used that phrase to evaluate which resources needed to be available for students and teachers to be most effective in their research. Indeed, some of the tools in the toolbox changed significantly when we moved from only books to our digital world. Some stayed the same. The tricky part was determining what carried the most value and how we would best maneuver through those resources.

Now I am again thinking about the value of a toolbox and what it contains from another perspective. This week while putting together a table, a friend brought a very stunning toolbox filled with every gadget perfectly placed, all shiny and new and color coordinated. I will admit, I was a bit jealous. It had bits in every size and shape, and more types of pliers than I knew what to do with or how to use for pulling out all those packing staples. 

When I drove into the garage that evening, I looked over at my old wooden toolbox. It was concocted  by my dad when I bought my first house. I’m guessing he realized I would need some tools, but in his typical ‘why would you buy something new when I have extras you can use’ way of thinking, he found a variety of extra tools for me, a few with a bit of rust. He showed me how to clean them up, sharpen them, and when/how I would most likely use them. I’m not sure he realized the value of the gift he was giving me. At the time I am sure I did not thank him enough. Although they were not shiny and new, over the years they have helped my wimpy arms accomplish more projects than I ever thought possible.

When someone needs help with a project, I often volunteer. I am sure when they hear my voice or read my text saying ‘I’ll be over to help put that together,’ they roll their eyes and think ‘how can she possibly help me?’ 

Well, what I’ve learned over the years is...it’s all about the tools in the toolbox. And what I’ve really learned is...it’s not all about muscles. Thank heavens!  

For example, pulling up carpet. The relatively rusty pincer pliers (I know there’s a professional term for them) work perfectly! And the giant crowbar sitting in the corner of the garage that seems to weigh more than I do. Well, when I needed to move a railroad tie, I did it! Really, it’s all about leverage. 

Leverage: use (something) to maximum advantage OR influence or power used to achieve the desired results 

So what else do I need in my toolbox? What influence/power might I leverage? Do I call my state senator to let her know how I think she should vote on a bill? Do I call my congressman to attempt to convince him that not all of his constituents agree with the way he votes on many bills? Will it matter? Do I voice my opinion often enough, yet not so often that they look at the name on my email and delete the message before they’ve even read my thoughts? How do I articulate my values in such a way that no one could possibly disagree with me. What's in my toolbox to help with those conversations?

And how do I leverage my power, my voice in my reaction to being bombarded by offensive political advertising? No one, no one should campaign with a gun in hand, advertising he will defend me. Defend me from whom? I fear him! How many phone calls and emails need to be sent to share my astonishment, my anxiety, my outrage. 

I am hopeful I will one day open that old toolbox and find wisdom and knowledge and patience and kindness come tumbling out, as well as advice on how to leverage those qualities. That's what I need in my toolbox to weave my way through these tumultuous times. 

What's in your toolbox? 


1 comment:

  1. Your voice IS your greatest leverage and, as you point out, also the most delicate to fine tune for the greatest effect. (By the description of your tool box our fathers must have been related!)

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.