Sunday, November 27, 2022

Leave ... or stay and fight?



By JoAnne Young

 

I am driving through Florida and Georgia and Tennessee as I write this, rolling back to Nebraska from a two-week stay at the beach house of the Young Youngs (Joseph, Michaela, Ky and Finn). 

 

For 14 days I’ve touched the sand and salt water every day. Watched the sun rise over the waves. Eaten wonderful seafood in restaurants surrounded by lapping water. 

 

Earlier this year, we visited our oldest son in San Diego and our daughter’s family in Denver. All of these are places where the living is pretty easy; all places where we could pull up our Nebraska roots and move, as they did.

 

Many people have vacated this state. Sometimes the state’s politics and policies figure into those moves; frequently it’s for family, lifestyle, economy, taxes. Even former governors and U.S. senators move away from Nebraska. 

 

So I ask myself daily, should we – the last of the Young clan to reside here – leave, too? Or do we stay and fight for a place that has been home for so long, that has established family memories and good friends, but that has distanced itself from me with its stubbornness of conservative politics, its failure to embrace women and people of color in its state leadership, and its refusal to protect the LBGTQ+ community in state law. 

 

I watch as it becomes increasingly difficult for people who ran for office to help their communities and to speak for people who aren’t really able to speak for themselves. 

 

We aren’t confused about the fact that we live in a red state, with Republican rule in the legislative and administrative branches. Money frequently determines policy. That’s due in part to a governor whose net worth is estimated at $60 million to $70 million and whose family’s net worth is in the billions. A governor who uses that money to fund handpicked candidates for the Legislature and other offices and defeat those who don’t walk his line. He uses it to thwart the will of the majority of lawmakers and disrupt the results of petition processes with which he disagrees.

 

I talked today to one of our lawmakers, Sen. Megan Hunt of Omaha, about why she has chosen the fight. I see hers as an uphill battle. Thirty-six years old, a woman, a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a single mom, a progressive.  

 

The question of whether to stay or go is one Nebraskans of all ages ask themselves, she told me. She has pondered it herself. What people don’t talk about is the guilt of leaving, of turning your back on the people who don’t have that option. We all need to live in a place where we have faith that we can reach our dreams. 

 

Politics are getting nastier, she said. Leaders are getting more authoritarian. It’s more difficult to be an elected official. 

 

The fights in state government these days are not substantive, she said. They are “dumb culture wars” that don’t matter deeply to the needs and wants of real people. It’s frustrating, she said, and nothing more than playing at politics and lawmaking.

 

She quoted wisdom from Jewish Talmudic sages: “You are not required to finish your work, yet neither are you permitted to desist from it.”

 

The obligation is in the effort, not the outcome. 

 

A mental health break is good, she said. Hers would take her to the mountains of Norway. When and if she gets there, she will know her contribution has been made, that she did what she could. She’d be more than ready for the freedom leaving could bring. 

 

For me, I will put off the question at least another year, maybe two. I will fight, not out of a sense of obligation, but the result of inspiration. My work with state Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks, who ran valiantly for Congress but was defeated by the candidate handpicked by Ricketts and other conservative Republicans, showed me the beauty is in the journey, not the victory or defeat. 

 

So in January, as a new legislative session begins, I plan to go to the Capitol, to be the watchful citizen, an observer of what the lawmakers and administrators are up to. And I will report back, a battlefield correspondent at least for a while. 



11 comments:

  1. Keep fighting the good fight, JoAnne. I appreciate your perspective and willingness to keep telling the story of what's going on in Nebraska politics. Where I live in the Denver metro, the issues are a little different, but as a resident of a very red county in a more blue state, I understand the importance of staying in the game. It's tempting to leave for bluer pastures, but what would happen if nobody stayed to stand up and oppose those who support hateful LGBTQ+ rhetoric and far-right efforts to dismantle public schools? Let us not desist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim!

      Delete
    2. Great comment, Kim. We all need to do what we can to ensure all are welcome & accepted

      Delete
  2. Yes. Stay and fight. For my grandchildren and the schools, libraries and a multitude of issues. I am old but I still fight in small ways for big things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving behind the Republican rote thinking of rural Nebraska is so tempting. I've lived in small towns populated by paternalists, mysoginists, and homophobes for most of my life. It's exhausting. However, I've been in a position to make a difference. Those far-right fearful parents who thought I was teaching their children critical thinking skills were correct: I was. Also, like-minded people such as 5 Women Mayhem save my sanity (such as it is). And then, I have six grandchildren who live nearby! They keep me here, where I can enjoy watching them grow -- and set an example for Good Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still waver if I should stay or go. The fight seems never ending

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joann for saying what I think! I’m so tired of our governor and his family buying their way! I’m tired of residents of this state disrespecting others. They speak of keeping our best and brightest here, yet nothing is done to accept everyone. I worry we will get another 4 years of the same and I’m sure we will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You nailed it, Joanne. I think I’m too old to leave. Even though living here is frustrating, I think of all the small battles won and friendships made. The most fun I’ve had in life was fighting for women’s rights, and even though I’m still going to marches over the same issues we marched for in the 1970s, we have made a difference by being here in this little red state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you read my mind when you wrote these wonderful words. I have been a Nebraskan now for 37 years and still have 3 children in the state, such a quandary at times to figure out what we stay for and would it be better to leave (there is one child in Denver). You words brought peace to my soul and encouraged me to keep fighting for what I believe in. Bless Megan Hunt for her honesty about politics! Thanks Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My partner would like to leave. He brings it up every time he reads something in the news about our ignorant political policies here in this state. I, on the other hand, point out that no matter where one lives there will always be issues in which one disagrees. I love this state and I love the community in which I choose to live. I have family in Austin and now my dear sister who lives just around the corner from me is planning to leave the state. I am heartbroken. I stay and vote on issues for the good of all humanity and hope there will be positive change for all people living in this state. I know this is a very conservative state but my heart is here and I have a sense of place is this village where I have set down deep roots. I do look at other places in this country and abroad out of consideration to my partner. Maybe someday, maybe I will seriously consider pulling up stakes. For now I will stay right where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same guilt about moving.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.