Sunday, May 28, 2023

A lifelong journey of mayhem.

By Mary Reiman

It’s been a journey.  

I choose to believe I inherited many fine qualities from my dear mother, but I also inherited her bad sinuses. Those of you who also deal with pounding headaches, aching teeth, a face that hurts all over and all the other symptoms of a sinus infection understand what I’m talking about. For those of you who have never had to worry about that, you are very, very lucky.

When one has a pounding headache for days on end, one becomes willing to try just about anything to make it better. Over time, one learns that antibiotics don’t always help. Allergy shots aren't the answer. And sinus surgery (cleaning out those sinus cavities and fixing a deviated septum) isn’t the final solution. 

Does one give up hope? Well...almost.

During this month of MAYhem I decided to go out-of-my-box and take a road less traveled.  

I found Sarah. It’s not that I didn’t know Sarah. I have been longtime friends of her family, and I’ve known her since she was born. She grew up in Lincoln, graduated from LHS and UNL. On to a graduate medical program in Chicago and then Portland, resulting in a Masters of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine from top-rated Chinese Medicine School, OCOM. Luckily for us, she has found her way back to Lincoln and is a licensed acupuncturist, after passing her board exams for her license to practice acupuncture in the state of Nebraska. With years of training, she understands the way our bodies function and the way ancient medicine can help them function better.  During each session she takes the time to explain more of it to me. In my eyes, she is magical. 

Every breath, every action we take has meaning. For all these years I have been amazed simply by how our heart keeps beating, no matter how we use and abuse our bodies. I am more incredulous now that I see how each movement, action, and emotion so clearly impacts every breath I take. Chinese medicine looks at the physiology and psychology each patient. Therapy involves bringing the body into balance, to restore harmony to the individual.

All things have two aspects: yin and yang. Opposite characteristics that can complement each other. Both parts of the whole. Both needed for balance. In terms of the body, the front is considered yin and the back is yang. I am well aware that is a very, very simplified definition. Think about how every emotion has an opposite emotion. Happy/Sad. Relaxed/Agitated. Hot/Cold. Sleep/Awake. Quiet/Loud. Then think about how our bodies often react to those emotions.

Yin/Yang: Two halves that mutually form the wholeness of Qi. The mixing of the two energies makes life possible. When life-force energy is appropriately balanced between Yin and Yang, it flows smoothly maintaining and promoting a good state of physical and emotional health.

How does acupuncture work? 

The energy meridians in the body and mind can be influenced by needling the acupuncture points: acupuncture needles unblock the obstructed flow of energy and blood and reestablish normal flow through the meridians, thereby restoring health and balance. Vital energy or Qi is present in every part of the human being’s body, including in the human mind and brain. Acupuncture treatments can therefore help the body to correct imbalances in all areas.

Yes, fine needles are used to help increase blood flow throughout the channels of our bodies. Meridians are the channels or pathways that carry Qi (energy) and blood through the body. The meridians connect the interior of the body to the exterior. The basis of acupuncture theory is that working with points on the exterior of the body will affect what goes on inside the body. It is a study of interconnectedness. Fascinating!

Amazingly, I didn’t feel any of the 40 fine needles the first time I visited Sarah’s office. Lying on my back, they were placed at the crown of my head, on my face, wrists, legs and ankles. I did not feel them go in, no clue exactly where they were located, and had no pain when they were taken out 20 minutes later. I didn’t even realize when she was finished removing them. 

Two weeks later, 35 needles were in place from the top of my head to my ears, upper back, legs and ankles. One of the unexpected outcomes is better balance because the channels of blood flow from my head to my toes has improved. 

I borrowed Sarah‘s books to understand acupuncture better, to learn more, not only about the process, but about the history behind the importance of balancing the body. There’s no simple way to explain Qi. It is thought of as the vital life that flows through the body, as well as the energy flow that is all around us. But it is much more complex than a two-sentence definition. We all function better when we are rested, when we have more energy. We feel better when we can find ways to let go of stress, whatever that stress may be. That does make sense to me.

After years of antibiotics and trying to find ways to not get sinus infections that morph into full-blown headaches, I am relieved to have found another pathway to better health. 

For those who don’t believe there is therapeutic power in ancient Chinese medicine, think about the fact that the Chinese were studying the human body 3000 years ago and it is still studied and practiced today. That’s longevity. 

Perhaps we should be using Chinese medicinal practices as an alternative to pharmaceuticals? I went out-of-my-box because I could afford to go out-of-my-box. But there are not the number of lobbyists for acupuncture as there are for pharmaceutical companies. It is seldom covered by insurance although the years needed to be an acupuncturist are many, the knowledge they have is great, and the work they do is important. They are licensed and understand the human body and the many influences, emotional and physical, which impact us. 

In this month of MAYhem, I am forever grateful to Sarah, for her knowledge and for her profession.


Resources:

Hinrichs, TJ and Barnes, Linda L., Chinese Medicine and Healing

Kaptchuk, Ted J., The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine

Wiseman, Nigel and Ellis, Andrew, Fundamentals of Chinese Medicine


4 comments:

  1. What a very interesting article. I’m so glad it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. good information to pass on to people with chronic problems. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me about the benefits of acupuncture. I’d like to know how to contact Sarah. So happy she found her way back to Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting article. I too would be interested in Sarah's contact information. My nephew is a chiropractor in Norfolk and is a big advocate for alternative medical methods. I think his practice has some one who does acupuncture but they are in Norfolk. That is too far to go for a consultation or treatment.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.