Sunday, September 17, 2023

A Partnership Like No Other

By Mary Reiman

Last week I officiated a wedding. Now those of you who know me are saying...what? You? I know you might be wondering what that lovely young couple was thinking. I was asking the same question. Of all the people they could have chosen...

FYI: I wanted to write about this for my most out-of-the-box moment in May, but it had not yet happened, and I didn’t want to get ahead of myself...or jinx anything! 

Let me be clear, I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to completely describe how honored I was to be asked. At the same time, I won’t deny being terrified. Such a mixture of emotions!

When they invited me to dinner in March, I thought they might ask if I would cut the cake at their September wedding. Well, obviously, I did not know what they were thinking. Yes, I was stunned. And yes, I was nervous. And yes, after we wrote the script I practiced for many weeks. But practicing in front of the mirror is not the same as standing in front of a family that you love and admire, wanting to make sure you don’t trip walking up the aisle before the ceremony begins, or lose your voice...or faint! Yes, all those scenarios crossed my mind between March and September!

Welcome Family and Friends. 

Thank you for being with us today. On this day of joy!

It is love that brings us here today.

That’s how it began. The first words of the ceremony.

What was most important for me was that each and every word of their ceremony be what they wanted it to be, determining what was most important to them, and to their hearts. Not that the exquisite flowers or the beautiful setting or the stunning dress or the lovely decorations were not important. But for me, it was about the words spoken. That was the role I hoped to fulfill. Speaking the love.

Creating the ceremony involved writing the script, finding the perfect words to describe the love I saw, heard and felt when talking with them. Contemplating the perfect words needed to describe this beautiful relationship to all in attendance. 

I watched them interact in March. They were blissfully happy. Listening to the early discussions, thinking about everything that needed to be done, moving through summer and into fall. There were more conversations than they might have wanted with me. And they were still blissfully happy. 

And then suddenly it was September and I was standing within inches of them as they made these vows.

I ask you to be no one other than yourself.

Loving what I know of you and trusting what I do not yet know,

I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me,

Through all our years and in all that life may bring us.

Yes, it all came together. They were beaming, as they did when they sat across from me in March, enjoying every moment of their wedding. The feeling in the air, not simply because the air quality was better, or because it was a lovely outside venue on a gorgeous September evening, but truly, because of the love in the air. Love. Joy. As simple as that.


I also had the vantage point of watching the faces and listening to the wonderfulness of their friends attending the wedding. They and their friends inspire great hope for our future. They are all smart and funny and excited about where they will land in the world as they leave college and begin their professional careers. They are looking forward. They will make our world better. Most importantly, they exude the great value of strong friendships.  

I have not talked to them since the wedding. They have flown off into the sunset. As it should be. But my hope is that the ceremony was everything they had hoped it would be, and more. And that their life will indeed be filled with the love and joyfulness and laughter that was shared by all at their wedding. 

I don’t know why they picked me. But I will be forever grateful.

Thank you, my fine young friends, for allowing me to be part of your life’s journey. It was indeed an honor to witness the beginning of your partnership.

A partnership like no other. Where the best part of each day is your time together.


Follow us on Facebook at 5 Women Mayhem





6 comments:

  1. This touched me as I, also, was asked to officiate the wedding of two dear friends. Thre it request came out of the blue and, like you, I was also so honored to be asked and so terrified to do what was asked of me. But, also, like you, I was so very glad to be a part of their wedding. Outside the box is right. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. You touched my heart . Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honor and privilege, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.