Saturday, October 14, 2023

This I believe

                                                                      


By JoAnne Young


I believe in girlhood. 

 

The ring of that statement sounds strange in my head. For years I’ve been on a self-determined campaign to persuade people to stop using “girl” when they are actually talking about women. “I’ve started seeing this girl,” says the man dating a woman in her 30s. Or, “I have this girl that does my taxes,” about the well-established accountant. And, “that girl on the volleyball team,” who is 21. It’s demeaning, referring to a grown woman as if she’s a child, immature, lacking authority. Unconsciously or consciously, it implies the “girl” is inferior to men who are her peers. 

 

That being said, I’ve recently begun thinking about my own girlhood, the memories I abandoned as I focused on womanhood and all the complications that came with it. 

 

I flashed on pulling a catfish from an Arkansas lake with my dad. 

 

I smiled, remembering collecting box turtles from the woods behind my house, thinking I could contain them in an open box lined with grass and lettuce, only to have them disappear back into the woods by morning. 

 

I thought of riding my beloved blue bike up and down a deep, wide ditch, my green cowgirl hat hanging loose and cool at my neck. 

 

I marveled at my determination to carve an ice rink into my back yard, below freezing temperatures and me shoveling for hours in the deep northern Michigan snow. 

 

I summoned my high school days, the fun of piling into a convertible, a dozen of us girls riding around the school parking lot, nowhere to be but in the moment.   

 

Then there’s the one I’d rather forget. My first kiss, at age 11, from a man in his 50s who lived three houses down. He had lured me into his backyard shed under the pretense of tuning up my bike, once there pulling me to him, putting his mouth on mine and telling me to open wider. Dumbstruck as I was, I didn’t even notice what other touching was going on. But I knew, even then, to pull away and get out the door. I booked it home, only to encounter another breach of faith when my parents told me to return to the shed for my bike, while they waited and watched from three lawns away. 

 

The effect of that stiff, repugnant first kiss, that kiss that would covertly afflict so many kisses to come, was delivered in the undergrowth of girlhood, but manifested in the clearing of maturity. For all of these grownup years, when friends would float through stories of their first kisses, I could only listen and nod, never to tell my own. 

 

Now, so many decades later here I am, asking to reclaim my girlhood, pronouncing my belief that there was a freedom in spending hours on something that would produce nothing. A freedom in pretending to be someone I would likely never become. Freedom in summer play in which I would Peter Pan promise myself to never grow up. 

 

And most importantly, I believe in the loosening of the bonds of silence given to those men who would sully our girlhoods and have us forget. 


This I believe, in remembering and reviving the girl and the unspoiled days of the spring of our lives. 

 

 

 

 

 

  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this sad memory of your first kiss. I wonder how many of us have a similar story to tell. I remember a man trying to lure me into his car while I was filling my bike tire at a gas station. I never told anyone til years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had two like encounters, one when I was 12 and then 17. Still haven’t really told anyone. Too awful. Thank you for your bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. Too many of us can relate. My "first kiss" was at the age of eight. The teenage son of my parents' friends. He would hold me in his arms like a baby and try to make out with me. Still sickens me today. I never told my parents because I was afraid I would be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. When I was maybe eight, nine, maybe ten (don’t remember exactly), I spent the night with a girl from our neighborhood. We were “new” friends, so there was an awkwardness already. Her father had us bathe together. More awkwardness. My father did not watch me at bathtime. This man washed our backs. Smiled a lot and chatted us up nicely. He looked at us. I don’t think anything beyond that happened but even then, I knew it was a violation. I never spent the night at that house again. And I think the fledging friendship ended. I’ve not spoken of it to anyone. I am in my 70’s. But I remember.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.