Sunday, December 3, 2023

Wrap it. Bag it. Staple it.

by Mary Reiman

December. The time for conjuring up memories.

Memories of decorating the tree, grandma’s fudge and penuche, pickled herring (was that only my dad’s favorite?), singing carols, and wrapping presents. Ah yes, wrapping presents.

It seems like this holiday season every store is filled with rows and rows of wrapping paper and ribbon.  I mean every store! The displays are by the door for you to see when you enter and exit, and include tape, tags and the ever popular gift bags.  

Besides forcing me to think about what size packaging is needed for sending the annual treats to the family I won’t see in December, all the options conjure up memories of past years...and how the art of wrapping has changed.  


Gift bags, at least the expensive, designer bags of today, are not part of my childhood memories. If there were any gift bags, they would have been brown paper sacks, decorated by hand, folded and stapled so no inquisitive eyes could peak inside before Christmas morning. 

Instead of that easier brown paper sack route, I now spend more time standing in the aisle to determine the best size and color gift bag to purchase than I spend on purchasing or making whatever is going into the bag. And then when I think I’ve found just what I need, I turn and see those small decorated plastic bags. Aren't they perfect for giving chex mix, puppy chow and other taste delights everyone needs for snacking during their favorite holiday movie or Nebraska volleyball game? So many options!

There is a good chance I spend more time and money on the packaging than on what is inside the package.

How did we get to this point? 

I come from a family of wrapping paper keepers. If you are one, you know what I mean. On Christmas morning when we unwrapped gifts, we were careful. Some would make fun of us because we didn’t rip the paper off the presents and be finished with that part of Christmas in 20 minutes. No, at our house, unwrapping was an event because the packaging was designed specifically for each of us, wrapped with precision, including perfect corners. When the paper was taken off the gifts, it was folded or rolled and used again the next year. Was mom frugal or simply a product of an era where things were used until they were worn out? 

For us, it was fun to think about what present had been in that paper the year before. And when brown paper was used, letters and designs were cut out of construction paper with our names on them and then glued on those packages. She purchased a lot of Elmer's glue.

I believe every moment of that wrapping process was carefully thought about by my mother. She was a farmer’s wife. She could have been an artistic designer.  

Also memorable were the gifts from my aunt, mom’s sister, also artistic. She always stayed up past midnight on Christmas Eve designing intricate wrapping, using a round oatmeal box or a saltine cracker box as the container for thoughtful gifts, often handmade from a local craft fair. It was so fun to look forward to her creations as well as her packaging, especially the various Santas. Each gift was unique, tucked in tissue, wrapped exquisitely, with a gift tag transformed from a Christmas card from the year before. Mom also made our gift tags. Probably their mother did the same for them when they were children.

So why do I remember those details from long ago when I can hardly remember if I picked up yesterday’s mail? Perhaps because I choose to remember the love that went into the process of creating those gifts. 

Isn’t that what this holiday season is all about? Giving gifts from the heart to those we love, and donations to those in need. Tis the season for generosity and making memories. Whether we wrap it, bag it, or staple it.

Happy December!






7 comments:

  1. Loved reading this❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this. I am in the middle of decorating our tree. It is certainly wouldn’t win any prizes, like the wrapping paper, the decorations are each and every ornament is a memory of love. From the ornaments my children made when they were young, to the ornaments my grandchildren chose each year, parents and my husband’s parents gave us. Special friends have gifted us beautiful ornaments - one friend long gone gave us the annual White House ornaments. Now gone, we think of Greg with love as each ornament is hung. Another dear friend has given us annual beautiful gold ornaments over the years - hand as we hang those ornaments each year and every time we look at the tree throughout the season,we think of dear Colleen. An Arlington National Cemetery ornament hangs at the top of the tree, reminding me that my dad lies in that beautiful, calm space. Our family dogs, gone to Rainbow Bridge now, are honored on that tree. Yes, Marilyn Moore, the tears flow spontaneously. Thank you, Mary Reiman, for reminding me, this first Sunday of Advent, this is the season of love and should be noted in all we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickled herring! I had forgotten about that taste-treat completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my sweetest Christmas memories is the one on one time spent with first my mom and then with my daughter wrapping all the presents for everyone except us. The paper was often coordinated with the bows and tags and perfect corners were always the goal. As the families grew and time became a luxury bags became everyone's go to and this tradition became a memory, but the love, excitement and joy of just spending time together remains. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have remnants of vintage Christmas paper from the 50's thru the 70's. These from my very frugal mother in-law's stash. I love using the scraps when making cards or tags. As for wrapping, I still pretty much avoid bags. I love the act of wrapping as part of the gift.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.