Saturday, August 29, 2020

Zuzu and the Pandemic

By Mary Kay Roth
Whenever I come home – whether I’m gone half an hour, or half a day – Zuzu is always waiting just inside the door, her tail wagging so hard her entire body sort of serpentines in eager waves of delight.

Zuzu was a rescue, an unwanted, goofy looking puppy with shorter-than-average legs – who grew into a goofy looking dog who serves as my furry mental health practitioner, confidante and friend. On these lingering, sultry weeks of summer (dare I say dog days), as the time of the pandemic lengthens like the sun’s shadow, I hold onto Zuzu as a shield against the fear and confusion of our time.  She rewards me with unequivocal calm.

I’ve been living solo for the past six months with almost no one coming inside my home. I’m a committed introvert with a loving circle of family and friends. But in all honesty, I get lonely.  So it’s just Zu and me against the world, having conversations over dinner, running errands in the car, tucked into bed at night.  

I recognize others are finding pandemic camaraderie with spouses and kids –cats, fish, geckos. Bravo to all of you. But for me, it’s about a dog.  

Zuzu doesn’t care about the latest coronavirus numbers, nor the debate over masks. She doesn’t judge decisions I make in these pandemic times (no eye rolls when I get a haircut). As my emotions roller coaster – as the world continues to spin frantically: Hurricane Laura and California fires, more senseless death from racially charged shootings, the insanity of the Republican National Convention – through it all, my dog offers a sincere, steady heart.

So, admittedly a little dorky, as a quiet tribute to all the dogs and creatures who remain steadfastly beside us, I offer ten random observations about Zuzu and the pandemic.

Shaggy hair and masks:  Zu does not care if my hair looks like a bird’s nest, or that I wear a mask.  Some “experts” have written lengthy essays about how to make sure your dog knows you while wearing your mask. Silly nonsense. Zuzu knows me no matter what.  In fact, she doesn’t really understand the brouhaha about masks. She thinks everyone should wear one.  

Tail:  Oh, the wonder of Zu’s tail. It whacks down vases of flowers and unsuspecting small children.  But I am so starved for entertainment these days, I love to watch her tail.

Zuzu’s vote: I am absolutely certain Zuzu would cast her ballot for Joe Biden, proud owner of a German Shepherd named Major, while Trump is the first president in more than 100 years who has no dog. George Washington owned a pack of foxhounds named Drunkard, Mopsey, Taster, Tipsy, Sweet Lips, and more – and the White House has been howling with dogs ever since. Abe Lincoln had Jip, FDR spoke of his pooch in the famous Fala speech, Lyndon Johnson adored his beagles (named Him and Her,) and the Obama family adopted Bo and Sunny. (Sure wish dogs could vote.)

Stuff:  As the human world moans and groans over stuff they have been forced to give up, I’m most certain Zu is puzzled. She has never been much of a material dog. Except of course, socks.  For all I know, she’s secretly ordering socks on Amazon Prime.

Sounds of silence:  I don’t mind stillness, but right now it is deadly quiet in my house.  So of course, I talk to the dog.  A lot.  I ask her questions, and she offers opinions. My counselor believes this is fine.  She talks to her dogs, too.

Walk:  One of my favorite pandemic memes features the picture of an exhausted dog who is thinking to himself:  “That’s the sixth walk today. What the heck is a corona?”

Indeed, I’ve been walking more and Zuzu is sleeker than she has ever been.  She does not really understand the big deal about sunrises, but she walks beside me every single morning at the crack of dawn – just because I do.  

Hugs: In these times, as I need to keep my humans at arm’s length, Zu seems to have a sixth sense for knowing when I need her near. Thank goodness she cannot measure six feet.

Zen master Zuzu: Hard as I resist, I continue to fret and awfulize about the coming months ahead. Zuzu has absolutely no concept of fretting.  In a lovely little book called, “Guardians of Being,” Eckhart Tolle writes: “Ask a dog what time it is, and the answer is: Now, now, now … Pet a dog and you live in a space of stillness … Your dog celebrates life continuously.”

Thank you … I write this blog in praise and gratitude to all the four-legged critters who are helping us survive this pandemic … to Idgy and Boone, Max and Buckles, Finn, Kemi, Helio and Zing and Raven, Earl, Dash, Buddy and Cricket and Teddy, Coco, Lakyn, Toby and Sadie, Trudy, Stormy, Leo and Maisie and Mary the Dog, Marge, Samson, Spinelli, Sophie, Dawg, Charley and Frankie, Kaylee – and oh so many more.

Will Rogers wrote: "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” 

Zuzu and all my beloved dogs from past days – Prince George, Indy, Pumba and Snowball – always reminded me that the glass was indeed half full … until, of course, they drank it. They tutored me in the true nature of unconditional love. And they always got me through the bad times.  Zuzu will get me through this one.

5 comments:

  1. May your days (and nights) always be blessed by the faithful companionship and unconditional love of a dog. They have the best perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Indy, Shorty and Willie, who love the extra walks and loving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it is, indeed, unconditional love. No matter what they are there for us in good times and bad and they seem to know when we need them most. LOVED this. And Lakyn thanks you also.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.