Saturday, September 11, 2021

This Week I Read

by Mary Reiman

I can't seem to concentrate on writing. I need to read. Yes, this week I need to keep reading. 

It bubbled up when I wandered into the library for a meeting. I still love book displays, especially the new titles. They usually include at least one or two books by my favorite authors. Isn't it amazing how books find us? I hear them saying, "Pick me. Pick me." It seems they are there for us when we need them, whether we realize it or not.

It started in the children's section. My favorite part of any library, of course. The Library Bus by Braham Rahman.


From The New York Times, "In a story inspired by the first library bus in Kabul, Afghanistan, where Rahman grew up during the civil war, it brings books to girls in remote villages and refugee camps who have no other access to education." I worry about where that library bus is today.

Ground Zero, a young adult novel by Alan Gratz, recommended by my friend and former colleague. Not an easy read, as it is two stories, one of a child caught in the North Tower on 9/11 and the other a child caught in a village in Afghanistan 18 years later. From School Library Journal review, "A contemporary history lesson with the uplifting message that humanity's survival depends on us working for, not against, one another." If only we could all have a civil discussion about this topic.

The Three Mothers: How the Mothers of Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, and James Baldwin Shaped a Nation by Anna Malaika Tubbs. As author Britt Bennett states, "Anna Malaika Tubbs uncovers hidden complexities within black motherhood that illuminate our understanding of the past while also shedding light on the overlooked contributions of black women today. An eye-opening, engrossing read." An important read. Sadly, I remember none of this from my history classes. 

John Grisham's newest novel, Sooley, gives us insight into the life of a young man from South Sudan, his heart and soul never really leaving his family when he came to the United States. From Booklist review, "a deeply compelling central character and a story that is full of raw emotion and suspense."  I often wonder how some of our students can sit in a classroom and concentrate on whatever we are teaching when they carry such heavy hearts and worry for their families. 

Trap the Devil: A Thriller by Ben Coes. An assassination plot too close to reality.

For those of you who read this genre, Coes' works are being compared to Brad Thor, Daniel Silva, and the late Vince Flynn. I couldn't stop turning the pages. How many brave souls are protecting our country every day in ways we never know? 

I have tried to wrap my head around how and why this month those five titles found me. Why now? They are different and yet alike, addressing women's rights and human rights and much, much more. Kind and gentle moments interspersed with the raw, harsh, evil in the world.

On this day, we remember where we were that morning 20 years ago. We remember and we still mourn. Thank you to the journalists who so tenderly shared the thoughts and reflections of many on this 20th anniversary. 

It seems that every day we read and listen to the thoughts of many on all sides of the issues of the day. Some are the issues addressed in the books I just read. I appreciate writers who check their facts.

With so much angst in the world I need to read. I read to breathe. Steadily in and out. To try and comprehend our world and to remember.

So this week I read...






No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments very much. And we want to encourage you to enter your name in the field provided when you comment, otherwise you remain anonymous. That is entirely your right to do that, of course. But, we really enjoy hearing from our friends and readers, and we'd love to be able to provide a personal response. Thank you so much for reading, following, and sharing our posts.